Stop Arbor Hills is a Michigan environmental nonprofit 501c3 corporation. This site contains information regarding the proposed expansion of Arbor Hills Landfill in Salem Township, Michigan. It is Washtenaw County’s only operating landfill and the largest landfill in the state.
Stop Arbor Hills is a community effort to stop the proposed expansion of the Arbor Hills Landfill that is really an entirely new landfill. The new dump would extend over Six Mile Road, where there is currently a composting facility. It would be 1,000 feet from 200 homes and a stone’s throw from Thayer Corner Nature Preserve where community members grow organic gardens. Much of the produce is donated to those in need.
The Advanced Disposal landfill is a major source of pollution and odor affecting eastern Washtenaw, southern Oakland and western Wayne counties. Its gas-to-energy plant run by Fortistar Methane Group has received violations for releasing sulfur dioxide and carbon monoxide into our community’s air. Learn more about the violations issued by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Contact us at email@example.com.
- Like and Follow our Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @StopArborHills.
- Connect with our parent corporation, The Conservancy Initiative, on LinkedIn.
- Learn more about other communities fighting landfills.
- Learn how to request public information.