Arbor Hills Landfill has received many violations from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Learn more
EPA consent order
On May 4, 2017, the EPA entered an administrative consent order with Advanced Disposal Services for violations of the Clean Air Act at Arbor Hills Landfill.
On Sept. 29, 2016 the Environmental Protection Agency issued violations to three companies that operate at Arbor Hills Landfill.
- Violation – BFI Waste Systems of North America (Republic Services) Note this company no longer operates at Arbor Hills.
- Violation – Arbor Hills Energy (Fortistar Methane Group)
- Violation – Advanced Disposal, owner-operator of Arbor Hills Landfill
The EPA conducted ambient air sampling and surface monitoring that resulted in the violations for violating the Clean Air Act.
“We’re somewhat taking over,” said Kenneth Ruffatto, an EPA environmental engineer who oversees Arbor Hills.
He said the EPA has been working closely with the MDEQ and will continue to do so. The EPA is keeping logs of odor complaints submitted to the MDEQ. Ruffatto said it’s important to specify the type of odor you smell, if possible, when you submit odor complaints to the MDEQ because it helps identify the source.
He said neighbors should smell garbage occasionally but the odors Arbor Hills Landfill has been emitting for the last year and a half are unacceptable and the EPA is working with Advanced Disposal, BFI-Republic Services and Fortistar Methane Group-Arbor Hills Energy to remedy the issue. Update: As of February 2017, BFI is no longer involved at Arbor Hills Landfill.
The MDEQ’s Air Quality Division logged 450 odor complaints in 2016.
- Dec. 14, 2016 – 901 odor violation | Response
Complaint investigations Dec. 5 | Dec. 10
- Nov. 8, 2016 Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- April 29, 2016 Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- March 15, 2016 – Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- Feb. 2, 2016 – Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- Nov. 6, 2015 Arbor Hills Energy (FORTISTAR Methane Group) violation for sulfur dioxide emissions
- Sept. 11, 2015 Arbor Hills Energy violation for sulfur dioxide emissions
Violation responses, documentation
- Republic Services response dated March 29, 2016 — this document includes photos of a fire, leachate running into ground water and uncovered trash heaps.
- Advanced Disposal violation response dated Feb. 15, 2016
- Gas system construction drawing – site plan dated Feb. 3, 2016
- Gas collection system upgrade proposal dated January 2016
- FORTISTAR Methane Group violation response dated Sept. 30, 2015
- Second FORTISTAR Methane Group violation response dated Nov. 10, 2015
- 2014 December 15 – Arbor Hills Energy, FORTISTAR Methane Group violation at the Arbor Hills Landfill for carbon monoxide emissions
- First Quarter Operating Record Evaluation FY 2017 dated Dec. 19, 2016 – written by MDEQ
- Landfill Gas Migration Remedial Action Plan Monitoring Report – April 20, 2016 | April 20, 2017
- Methane monitoring report dated March 23, 2017
- Odor monitoring