Arbor Hills Landfill has received many violations from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Learn more
EPA consent order
On May 4, 2017, the EPA entered an administrative consent order with Advanced Disposal Services for violations of the Clean Air Act at Arbor Hills Landfill.
On Sept. 29, 2016 the Environmental Protection Agency issued violations to three companies that operate at Arbor Hills Landfill.
- Violation – Arbor Hills Energy (Fortistar Methane Group)
- Violation – Advanced Disposal, owner-operator of Arbor Hills Landfill
- Violation – BFI Waste Systems of North America (Republic Services) This company no longer operates at Arbor Hills.
The EPA conducted ambient air sampling and surface monitoring that resulted in violations of the Clean Air Act.
The EPA has been working closely with the MDEQ and will continue to do so. The EPA is keeping logs of odor complaints submitted to the MDEQ.
EPA monitoring reports
Clean Air Act inspection report – Oct. 11, 2017 (Follow-up inspection to 2017 consent order)
Final inspection report – May 27, 2016
Inspection report – Feb. 16, 2016
Air monitoring – Feb. 16-17, 2016
- Feb. 6, 2018 901 odor violation
- Dec. 14, 2016 – 901 odor violation | Response
Complaint investigations Dec. 5 | Dec. 10
- Nov. 8, 2016 Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- April 29, 2016 Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- March 15, 2016 – Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- Feb. 2, 2016 – Arbor Hills Landfill violation
- Nov. 6, 2015 Arbor Hills Energy (FORTISTAR Methane Group) violation for sulfur dioxide emissions
- Sept. 11, 2015 Arbor Hills Energy violation for sulfur dioxide emissions
Violation responses, documentation
- Republic Services response dated March 29, 2016 — this document includes photos of a fire, leachate running into ground water and uncovered trash heaps.
- Advanced Disposal violation response dated Feb. 15, 2016
- Gas system construction drawing – site plan dated Feb. 3, 2016
- Gas collection system upgrade proposal dated January 2016
- FORTISTAR Methane Group violation response dated Sept. 30, 2015
- Second FORTISTAR Methane Group violation response dated Nov. 10, 2015
- 2014 December 15 – Arbor Hills Energy, FORTISTAR Methane Group violation at the Arbor Hills Landfill for carbon monoxide emissions
- First Quarter Operating Record Evaluation FY 2017 dated Dec. 19, 2016 – written by MDEQ
- Landfill Gas Migration Remedial Action Plan Monitoring Report – April 20, 2016 | April 20, 2017
- Methane monitoring report dated March 23, 2017
- Odor monitoring